If you are ready to take the first steps toward overcoming your substance abuse, then you need a detox center to help you flush your body of any remaining drugs. This can be a long and sometimes painful process, so professionals can help manage your symptoms, keep you comfortable, and even sedated during the process.
What is Detox?
Detoxification is commonly called detox. This is a treatment that you undergo at a detox center. The purpose is to remove any remaining drugs and alcohol from your body and manage your withdrawal symptoms safely.
Addiction to any substance requires detox before you can kick the habit. Substance abuse of substances like cough syrup, illegal drugs, alcohol, even prescription medications can all leave your body dependent and full of residual compounds. Some of your withdrawal symptoms can be so severe that you can’t overcome them without medical supervision. If you try, you are more likely to relapse just so that you can make the symptoms stop.
Proper detox usually requires the use of other medications and 24-hours supervision. Bold detox can take anywhere between a few days and a few months depending on:
- How long you have been addicted
- How much you usually use
- How you consumed drugs, whether it was injections, snorting, or swallowing
- Your current mental and physical health
Why is it Important to Not Detox at Home?
Some people try to go cold turkey on their own and avoid a detox center, but you should stay away from at-home detox kits or plans.
If you need help with a detox program, you shouldn’t try to do it on your own. There are rapid detox programs that try to quickly remove substances from your body with the goal of avoiding painful withdrawal symptoms. But these come with serious health risks. Traditional programs might be longer, but they are designed to keep you safer under proper medical supervision.
Trying to detox at home can lead to serious health problems like seizures, dehydration, and potential health complications. Inpatient and outpatient detox centers can help you avoid these complications. Proper detox programs keep you stable the entire time and help reduce the severity of your withdrawal symptoms. Certain drugs, like benzodiazepines or cocaine, might require other medications to wean your body from the harder drugs, something that should only be handled at a proper facility by a professional.
What to Look for in a Detox Center
When you evaluate a detox center, bear in mind that different facilities offer a range of treatment plans from inpatient plans, short medical detox plans, all the way through to quick outpatient plans after your detox. Some detox centers will have traditional therapies, and others will offer a combination of traditional and holistic therapies.
- Consider the location. After you complete your detox, where do you want to complete the rest of your therapy? If you are choosing an Inpatient Detox Center, do you want something close to home or something far away for additional privacy and anonymity?
- Consider the staff and qualifications of the institution. Your withdrawal symptoms could be quite severe and potentially lethal depending on what you struggle with. It would be best if you had a detox center that can treat your substance abuse symptoms and possibly treat more than one substance at the same time.
- Consider the therapies. You might prefer a detox center that helps you manage your initial withdrawal symptoms and then facilitates long-term therapies and skills that can help you avoid relapses in the future.
Finding a Detox Center in Huntington Beach, CA
With a high-quality detox center, you can undergo an initial evaluation to get a customized detox program. You will not struggle the same as someone else, and that’s why your detox program needs to be unique. Our medical staff will check your vitals regularly, evaluate how much of the drug is still in your body, and prescribe medications as necessary to keep you stable.
What works best for one individual might not work best for you. That is why our treatment center doesn’t provide cookie-cutter approaches but focuses on identifying the underlying issues and circumstances that may have contributed to your addiction and helping you find treatment solutions that increase your motivation to stay sober. At Ocean Coast, we help you find long-term social and life skills in a tranquil beach setting, away from temptation or triggers.
Recovery starts with detox. Let Ocean Coast help you overcome your drug and alcohol addiction in a safe, medically supervised environment.